Do you love the look of marble countertops but you’ve heard horror stories of living with it in your home? We can put your mind at ease. While marble does need some tender loving care, it’s actually very easy to maintain. The secret is simply learning how to care for it properly.
The following measures will go a long way in keeping your marble countertops in good shape:
- Clean up spills right away, especially for acidic spills like tomatoes, citrus fruits, and even vinegar. (Never use vinegar to clean a marble countertop.) Use ceramic or stone bake ware to avoid rust spots.
- Seal the marble surface as recommended. Your marble is sealed properly when water beads form droplets on the surface. When water stops beading, it’s time to re-seal.
- Never use abrasive cleaners. All marble should ever need is a soft, damp cloth and pH neutral cleaner.
- Don’t let wet dishes, glasses, or water sit on the countertop for any length of time. Use coasters on marble countertops.
- Use trivets and pot holders to avoid scorching. Never place hot pots or pans on a marble top. When we use hot pots or pans on natural stone countertops we ignore the fact that we are heating just one small section, directly under the pan, excessively whereas the surrounding area of the countertop may be very cold. If we do it repeatedly we are unknowingly causing thermal stress inside the stone.
- If you have a marble vanity, place felt pads under cosmetic and toiletry containers to avoid scratching.
- Remember that marble is not granite. It’s softer, so it will stain and wear more easily.
- And perhaps most importantly, don’t sweat it. Enjoy the one-of-a-kind personality that your marble develops over time. Think of it as a sign that your home has been lived in and well loved.
Don’t miss out on a beautiful material that adds warmth and luxury to the home just because somebody else didn’t take the time to learn proper care and maintenance. (Though sadly, sometimes the fault is the “expert” who didn’t properly educate the consumer.)
Still nervous? Visit MCM Natural Stone, where we have a solid understanding of how marble reacts to various elements, conditions, and situations. We’ll thoroughly explain how to care for your marble countertops and ensure you confidently select a material you’ll love for years to come.